Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Doubly Entendretic

The other day, when I went to buy Tanya her dog food at one of our local doggy merchandisers, I noticed that the Shakey's restaurant next door was fenced off and had a SOLD sign hanging above the entrance. I've never been to Shakey's, but my students tell me they had an excellent salad bar. There was actually much discussion about the excellentness of the salad bar.

I'm always curious about what's coming and going in my homeland. For instance, to my great delight, I noticed the other day when I was walking Tanya to our local coffee joint that Monrovia is getting with the classy and welcoming its first wine and cheese store. California wine and cheese, no less. This is cause for great excitement in a town where we have much in the way of eyeglass, stationary-and-stampin', and antique stores, but little in the way of spirits and curdling (e.g., things I might actually purchase). I think I speak for all Monrovians when I say, "Welcome, spirits and curdling!"

So when I was ready to pay for my cans of dog food, I noticed a bright blue sheet on the counter by the cash register. Being a read-y sort of person, I distracted myself from an awkward interaction with the cashier by brushing up on the latest canine literature. Turns out, it was not just doggy-centric.

I left the store with two cans of dog food and a shake of the head in disbelief. Because, despite the extreme irony, the powers that be are trying to turn that Shakey's into a strip joint. Shakey's, indeed.

2 comments:

kristan said...

Come on, Sarah, you KNOW every writer needs a day-job (or, in this case, a night job).

sarahww said...

Hmm. Good points.