Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Best Eye/Ear Candy of the Year

I've noticed that a lot of blogs I enjoy have been compiling their top tens of the year. So. I like lists. And I like sharing them. And I like blogging. This trifecta leads me to compose my own tops of the year:

Top Ten CDs (that actually came out in 2006) In No Particular Order:
1. Sufjan Stevens: Christmas Songs
(Seriously the most fun Christmas album ever -- you know it's gotta be with songs such as "Get Behind Me, Santa" and "Did I Make You Cry on Christmas? (Well, You Deserved It!))
2. Lily Allen: Alright Still
3. Regina Spektor: Begin to Hope
4. Madeleine Peyroux: Half the Perfect World
5. Cut Chemist: The Audience's Listening
6. Zero 7: The Garden
7. The Ditty Bops: Angel with Attitude
8. Ballaké Sissoko & Ludovico Einaudi: Diario Mali
9. Tally Hall: Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum
10. Paul Simon: Surprise
11. Gotan Project: Lunatico
12. Bob Dylan: Modern Times
13. Belle and Sebastian: The Life Pursuit

Okay that was 13. Ten was very, very difficult. And I like 13. I got married on the 13th. So it's a lucky-unlucky number.

Now, My Top 10 CDs That Didn't Necessarily Come Out In 2006 But That Received Heavy iPod/CD Mixing/Blasting-While-Housecleaning Rotation:
1. Sonny Rollins: Saxaphone Colossus
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer Cast: Once More, With Feeling
3. Johnny Cash/June C.C.: 16 Greatest Hits
4. Shelby Lynne: Suit Yourself
5. Imogen Heap: Speak for Yourself
6. Neko Case: The Tigers Have Spoken
7. Tony Allen: Homecooking
8. Beach Boys: Surfin' Safari
9. Golden Smog: Weird Tales
10. Little Richard: The Best of Little Richard

Honorable Mentions: Monk: Thelonious Monk Orchestra At Town Hall 1959; Sufjan Stevens: Illinois; Natalie Merchant: Retrospective; Queen: Night at the Opera

Okay, again, too many CDs.

Top 5 Books (That Were So Good, I Just Had To Read Them Within a Few Days):
1. Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never- Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems (Rakoff)
2. The Los Angeles Diaries (Brown)
3. Doubt (Shanley)
4. Garlic and Sapphires (Riechl)
5. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles (Murakami)

Top 5 TV Guilty Pleasures (non-cable, because I don't have cable):
1. The Office
2. 30 Rock
3. Heroes
4. Ugly Betty
5. So You Think You Can Dance

Best TV-DVD Guilty Pleasure:
Seasons 1-7 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (obviously!)

TV-DVD Series I Can't Wait To Watch This Next Week:
Season 1, Weeds

TV-DVD Series I'm Planning to Watch After Dec. 15:
Veronica Mars

Top 5 T-Shirt Designers
1. Ella Moss
2. Nicole Miller
3. Velvet
4. Deletta
5. Marc Jacobs

Best Flip-Flops Ever
Clarks

Best Time To End?
Now.

No comments: