Monday, April 03, 2006

A Very Special Episode of This Blog

That's the phrase that turned me off to E.R. forever.

Russell and I have been listening to the new Belle and Sebastian CD, and then, because it sorta-kinda reminded us of T. Rex's Electric Warrior, we've listened to that a few times as well. The only song that ever hit the top of the charts in the U.S. is the song "Get It On (Bang a Gong)." Now, though this album was released in 1971, it feels very 1960's montage to me. As in: "It was a crazy summer -- we were young and had our whole lives in front of us. The possibilities felt endless. But what we didn't know was that it was the summer everything would change forever." And on and on. Now imagine that in tandem with images of youthful twenty-somethings protesting injustice and shouting for peace. They're singing in a circle around a fire, with eyes closed. They're shaking fists indignantly at squareish law officials. Some of the images are from a handheld camcorder and so, you get all these shots of funny, scrunched faces, rock-on fingers, and random moonings.

When I mentioned this to Russ, he argued that 1971 was not about peace signs and bra burnings. He said it was Led Zepplin territory and by that time, all the protesters had gotten tired or pregnant or plain apathetic. Which could be true. My aunt Nancy, who was in high school in the 70's, told me that her class didn't even have a class president because no one bothered to vote.

But I still argue that "Get It On" is a total montage-worthy, handheld camcorder shaking, corny voice-over type of song. Just listen to a sample on iTunes or Amazon and tell me if I'm totally off-base here. I'd like to be right on this one, just so I can for once na-na-na-na-na in Russell's historically accurate face.

No comments: