Thursday, February 23, 2006

Variations on a Theme

Just yesterday, I realized that I'd had both Broken Flowers and Born Into Brothels for over a month without even opening the Netflix envelope. I fear I've lost my ability to sit through any narrative longer than 45 minutes, including commercials. So I sent both movies back and will be receiving Reno 911 in two to three days. Sweet episodic relief.

When I told Kristan this, she groaned, informing me that Broken Flowers was an amazing movie and she couldn't believe that I sent it back without watching. But can I help it if I'm a trout? Flash something shiny in front of my eyes, and I totally fall for it, as long as its shinyness does not exceed 45 minutes (including commercials). Offer something nourishing, intelligent, and artistic, and I'll most likely never open the envelope.

Comparisons to trouts lead me to thoughts about Susan Sarandon. How, you ask? I once read this article where the writer quipped, "Susan Sarandon is so lefty, her eyes are slowly travelling to one side of her head, like a halibut."

And...we're full-circle with the fish.

1 comment:

kristan said...

Trout.