Friday, December 16, 2005

Bio-Mutation

I strongly believe that there is something in my biological makeup, no wait, my very DNA, that necessitates the watching of at least one total crap TV show regularly. It's something that I've fought up until recently and then, with the advent of grad school and the heavy procrastinatory behaviors that come with it, I've given in.

This summer, it was the show Ambush Makeover (until it was cancelled in favor of "Tyra!"), a cheesy grab-someone-off-the-street-and-give-them-a-quick-fix. Then it was a few -- okay more -- episodes of America's Next Top Model. I consider that research for discussions on postmodern reality TV and feminism. Yeah, that sounds good. Right now, ever since finals week started, I have been watching (gulp) Kelly and Regis. I know, I know. I'm pathetic. But as Dr. May always says in his wonderful Kentucky accent, "You know it's just a bunch of crap, but you can't resist it." (He is usually talking about T.C. Boyle, but still, it applies.)

The worst part is that I somehow have influenced Russ's DNA as well to watch these same terrible shows. So I'm not just dangerous -- I'm contagious.

5 comments:

t.l. blagg said...

kelly and regis...last time i saw that i was in a dr. office waiting room. Adam Sandler was on and he went outside and threw a football to Regis. Kelly was good on SNL the one time she hosted. Had a good fake commercial about a hair dye that was laced with crack cocaine.

kristan said...

Wait, what's crappy about this show? Kelly is so beautiful, and that Rege! What a RIOT!

kristan said...

Wait, what's crappy about this show? Kelly is so beautiful, and that Rege! What a RIOT!

kristan said...

Wait, what's crappy about this show? Kelly is so beautiful, and that Rege! What a RIOT!

sarahww said...

I think I meant crappy in that it's all fluff and celebrities. Don't get me wrong. It's a very entertaining crappy.