Monday, December 19, 2005

Shorts in December

Christmas shopping is tiring. I love the walking around, the Salvation Army bell ringers, and the looking at the many items in the many stores, but what I don't like is the choosing of the many items. I spent all day wandering nomadically around on Colorado Blvd. I knew I was looking for something -- just what that was, I had no idea.

I decided that I wanted to buy Russell a nice scarf for Christmas. But this was before I actually went shopping and found out that most all menswear is ugly and without style. Even me, with my horrible hemming, could probably make a million just designing decent men's scarves. Perhaps that will be my side project as I continue working on my novel this January. As a writer, a million dollars may come in handy when writer's block strikes.

I am much cooler than I ever thought, although I'm constantly posting things on this site that throws that statement into question. When I was reading through my Sunset Magazine this weekend, I noticed that they featured Garden Grove and Brodard, the Vietnamese restaurant I ate at last week. Then they did a full spread on hanging out in Sedona, where Russ and I will be hanging out with his parents during our Golden-Brown Christmas in Arizona. So I'm ahead of the cool curve according to Sunset Magazine. This makes me less cool-cool and more like March of the Penguins-cool. Endearing and education, but a little corny.

Today while shopping at Vroman's, I saw a friend from college, Jessie Conklin, who I hadn't seen since we were in Israel five years ago. She's the kind of hilarious that makes you snort Pepsi out your nose. In a few hurried moments (she caught me at the cash register), I found out she's banding around the greater L.A. area with Bodies of Water (http://www.bodiesofwater.net). It was nice to see someone with whom I actually wanted to catch up. Generally when I see random people from college, I get that sour taste in my mouth, like when you throw up a little after drinking too much orange juice.

No comments: